Sunday, June 9, 2013

Gone Fishing


Last month, the Yakima park system hosted a fishing event for the kiddos.  For $10, each kid got a pole, bait, T-shirt and the chance to fish for 30 minutes in a pond completely stocked with fish.  Tate wasn't old enough to register, but he got to hang out and offer moral support. 
 
 It took us about 10 minutes to find the right spot and get set up, and then we weren't having any luck.  The fish would bite the bait, but the boys could never reel them in.  All the while the boy and girl on either side of us kept bringing the fish in without problem.  When the announcer gave the 5 minute warning, I was starting to get a little worried.  If we left without any fish I knew we'd have a day of weeping and wailing, with some gnashing of teeth thrown in for good measure.  Thankfully, Ryan and Grant changed form at the end and Grant caught a fish with about 2 minutes to go.  One of the kids next to us had three fish (each kid was only allowed two), so they had us take the other home.  Success, and a drive home with one less thing for kids to whine about!! 

Buddy was pretty proud of his fish, and I was proud of him too (even if I couldn't look at his catch.  Dead fish eyes--gross!).

Poor Lukey had to spend most of his time strapped into his stroller up on the walking path.  I know he would have been happy to pull a few fish out of the pond with his bare hands, but such is the life of a one year old. He did, however, find the strength to bury his sorrow in a stomach full of granola bars, though, so all's well that ends well.

1 comment:

tracie said...

You never mention what happened to the fish once you got it home... :)