Friday, October 5, 2012

Backyard campout

 We had been planning on going camping at least once this summer.  However, as the summer came closer to an end we thought more about the logistics of camping with three young boys (mainly an 11 month old), we decided a nice back yard campout would be just the ticket.  That way, the 11 month old (and the lucky mom) could sleep inside while the other boys spent the night in the great backyard-outdoors.
 It had actually already started cooling off pretty significantly at night (down to the 50s), but there was no turning back once the tent was up.  All three boys thoroughly enjoyed playing in the tent throughout the day and slept pretty well at night.  I think I slept less than everyone because I was trying to keep my ears open for Tate in case he woke up scared or needed to pee (as he does at least twice a week).
 Since camping is not camping without s'mores, we fired up the grill and made plenty.  We made little s'mores and wrapped them in foil and cooked them on the grill until they were melted and gooey.  They were delicious!  The grill keeps the crackers crispy and lends a smokey flavor, yum!
 I love the s'more faces.

 The boys played a few rounds of Uno before laying down and listening to some stories before bed.  They were begging for scary stories but I kept it pretty mild because things can seem extra scary when it's dark and you are outside.  I'm not sure how scary the stories Ryan told them were, but no one came screaming into the house.
 We kept the camping chairs and tent up for the rest of the weekend so the kids could continue the fun.  I may have even slipped into the tent one afternoon and "rested my eyes" for a few minutes, but of course was caught and jumped upon as that seems to be the common way of greeting a sleeping person in this house.

1 comment:

Bacchus Family said...

Look at those beautiful blond boys. I know from experience that with three boys you deserve a little time just to rest your eyes.