Sunday, September 19, 2010

To dunk or not to dunk

Ryan is a dunker. Any type of delicacy that could possibly taste good in milk, Ryan is dunking it. His favorites include graham crackers and cookies, but he also dunks muffins, cake, and even toast (in hot chocolate). Did I mention he dunks grilled cheese sandwiches in his soup. I, on the other hand, love to enjoy the texture of my food and then wash it down with a delicious glass of milk, chunk free.

This need to dunk apparently runs in the blood because the boys have taken right after Ryan's food-sogging ways. The other day I gave Grant a muffin to eat and he said he needed a glass of milk and a fork (Ryan uses a fork to dunk the muffin--more manageable that way). Since Tate is still required to have a lid on his cup, he has not had much experience with true milk dunking. But he gets in on the action whenever we eat something with a dipping sauce involved (ketchup, ranch, etc). Actually, he really just uses his food as a makeshift utensil with which to shovel the dipping sauce into his mouth.


Please note the careful technique of using the tip of the pinky finger as a finger-rest to prevent over-dunking the cookie. The finger-rest ensures that the maximum amount of cookie gets dunked without the dunker getting their fingers wet. It's as much an art as a science, really.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I like to dunk oreos, I'll dunk my grilled cheese in tomato soup, but that's about it. I don't usually like soggy things either. What a fun way to bond though. ;)

Jenna said...

That brings back some good memories. Glad to see that the boys are carrying on the tradition!