Monday, May 3, 2010

1/2 Marathon with Hubby...check

Ever since we got married I've been trying to convince Ryan of the joys of racing. Actually the last big race I ran was the St. George Marathon right after we got married, almost six years ago. Well, last Saturday Ryan and I took the plunge and ran the Capital City 1/2 Marathon (13.1 miles) through downtown Columbus. The verdict: two thumbs up! We both had a great time and ran well. However, nearly two hours of running gave Ryan ample time for reflection, during which he questioned participating in future long-distance running for any reason other than the preservation of life or liberty.
Ryan and I followed a training program I pieced together that incorporated a 3-run-per-week schedule and some of the Galloway method. It worked great for us because we never really got bored with the training and we both ran good times. I came in at 1:42:44 and Ryan at 1:51:30 (he stopped for a potty break and we never really met up again in the race). The race was huge with 10,000 runners. I have to say I was somewhat surprised how easily my competitive side came out during the race. I guess all those High School track and cross-country races will do that to you. In the end I came in 14th in my age group and Ryan 113th in his. I think we earned our post-race bagels and ice cream :)

Here's an after shot with our medals and the kiddies. Thanks to Kellie and Eric for waking up at 6:30 in the morning to take our boys!

I just had to throw this one in there because I love the boys in their Sunday clothes. My mom found the jacket Grant is wearing for $8 (normally $80)! Don't they look snazzy?!

5 comments:

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

Very Snazzy! And congrats on the running. I don't think a marathon is in my future. :)

Butler Family said...

Great Job on running the Marathon that is awesome that you guys could do it together and that picture of the boys is so dang cute

Laura said...

Congrats on the run! I always admire runners b/c I am NOT one. Your mom is a good shopper to find that cute jacket!

tracie said...

Way to rock it!!!!! I don't even think I could ever get under 2 hrs...assuming I ever do another one. We'll see...

Lizzy said...

Way to go on running the race!!! I am so impressed. Matt and I are way to lazy to do anything like that :) Darling pics of the boys in their Easter get ups!