
This is actually a few days late, but better late than never! We celebrated our 5th anniversary on the 19th and got a night out on the town the weekend before (thanks Scott and Carol for babysitting!). This year was my turn to pick what we were going to do so I decided we should hit up German Village in Columbus and try out Schmidt's Sausage Haus. I'm not one to gravitate toward German food (and especially not sausage) but I saw a clip about this place on the Food Network so I thought we'd give it a try.

Here's Ryan with our spread and a fork-full of knackwurst and sauerkraut. Ryan got the all-you-can eat sausage buffet which had all their famous sausages and brats along with German and American side dishes. I decided to get ethnic and got the Weiner-schnitzel with spatzel and german pancakes. And the verdict: mine was better. Americans don't eat many sour foods and that was the predominant flavor in the food we got. They even gave me a lemon to squeeze over my dish which I thought made it more delicious.

Here's a lovely shot of me stuffing my face with weiner-schnitzel. Yum! (Come to find out, weiner-schnitzel is not a sausage, like you might think. It's veal cutlets, battered and fried. Who knew?!)

Ryan was really into the first couple of sausages, but then the sauerkraut and fat started to get to him. This pic shows the sudden wave of nausea that hit him at about brat #4 (don't worry, the nausea didn't last too long:). He said most of his food ended up tasting like you would except buffet food to taste.
So that was a little dissapointing but it was a lot of fun to go and experience it all.
Afterward, we went to a bookstore in town that they had made out of one of the historic buildings. The whole store was several levels that had been made into 32 rooms of books. The rooms were pretty small and all connected by narrow hallways and staircases. You had to weave through the maze of rooms, hallways, and staircases to get through the place. There were people on their cell phones trying to find other people in the maze-store, with references to landmarks like "I just went up the double-staircase by the pirate books and am now in the room with horse books and car books. Where are you?" It was a pretty fun set up. And Ryan and I love meandering through book stores so we had a blast.
Thanks honey for being such a wonderful husband. You've made these past 5 years incredible. I love you!
6 comments:
Looks like fun! Sometimes you just gotta try something different :) And I am jealous you look so good!
Aren't you two supposed to be standing behind the wooden cutouts? Happy 5 years!!!!
Hooray! Congrats on 5 years! Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun! That bookstore sounds awesome.... it sounds like the Ikea of bookstores.
Thanks for the weinerschnitzel lesson.... I too had no idea!
That is awesome. Happy Late Anniversary Glad you had a great night Kid Free!!
Way to be adventurous with the food. Happy 'Versary (as we say in Dan's family)! :)
Happy Anniversary guys! Sounds like a fun date:)
Post a Comment